A responsible society must protect the environment for present and future
generations, allowing people around the world to enjoy a better quality of life. Sustaining
the earth’s resources can be achieved by ensuring the prudent and efficient use of the world’s
natural raw materials and the deployment of effective measures for the protection of the
environment around us.
One of the largest polluters of our environment are the buildings in which we live and work
and for more than a century Boon Edam has been delivering a sustainable building product to
the market in making available to society a highly effective means to save energy consumption
within buildings, through the design, manufacture and supply of revolving doors; the best way
to ensure that the carefully created climate inside a building is not affected by outside
As the world leader in entrance technology, Boon Edam constantly reviews each part of its
global business and, in this process, sustainability is a key component of the Group’s business
strategy. In recognition of the need for Boon Edam to increase the role it must play in
protecting the environment the following key areas are under continual focus:
- Boon Edam designs energy efficient products which enable the end user to reduce their carbon
footprint allowing them to contribute towards a sustainable society. Integral energy saving
measures in revolving doors include:
- "Always open – always closed" principle of the revolving door
- Intelligent low energy consuming drive units and controls
- Horse hair weather strips to close the gaps between door set and frame/floor
- Direction sensitive motion detectors to reduce the number of rotations
- Low energy lighting
- Remote monitoring to reduce the number of service/maintenance calls
- Information will be issued electronically wherever possible.
- If paper is required, renewable sources will be used, including the use of recycled paper where possible.
- Internet based applications are developed for internal and external use.
- Manufacturing equipment is monitored and maintained to ensure it is used safely and efficiently to minimise risk and energy waste.
- Renewable energy sources are used where and when feasible.
- Reductions in energy use are encouraged in all parts of the worldwide Group, for example automatic light switches.
- Parts required for the manufacture of Boon Edam products are sourced from responsible suppliers.
- When possible, parts manufactured from wholly or partly recycled raw materials are purchased.
- Natural materials such as wood are purchased from responsible suppliers purchasing only from renewable sources.
||100% according to Declaration of Packaging 94/62/EC:
|65 – 100%
Depending on type
|The figures were provided by Boon Edam’s suppliers, specialised recycling
companies and branch organisations.
- Waste material from manufacturing processes is collected and returned for recycling.
- Packaging of finished products is continually under review to be reduced and, where possible, return for re-use or recycling.
- Any waste products produced during the manufacturing or the coating of our products which is not suitable
for recycling, is disposed of responsibly through approved companies in line with local environmental legislation.
- Efficient logistics are used when arranging the delivery of finished product to our customers.
- Employees are encouraged to hold tele/video-conference meetings to reduce all forms of travel.
- Employees are encouraged to make use of public transport when travel is required.
- Company vehicles must comply with low emission regulations.
- Each subsidiary has an employee designated as the Company Environmental Coordinator to
ensure compliance with the Group’s Sustainability Policy and to make recommendations to
extend the Policy.
- A policy of recycling old Boon Edam Entrance Technology products was introduced early in 2009.